A three-year-old has died after being hit by a car that mounted a pavement in Edinburgh and careered into a shop.
The child was outside a charity shop on Morningside Road when the incident took place at around 2.30pm on Tuesday.
A 37-year-old woman was also injured after being hit by the red Kia car that crashed into St Columba’s Hospice shop.
Police later confirmed the child’s death as they appealed for witnesses to the incident to come forward.
Inspector Roger Park of Edinburgh Road Policing Unit said: “The heartfelt thoughts of my colleagues and I remain with the families involved in this absolutely tragic incident.
“We are providing support to the family and I would ask that the privacy of those involved are respected at this time.
“Our enquiries will continue to establish the full circumstances of the collision. I would ask that anyone who witnessed the incident or who may have dash cam or CCTV footage and who has so far not spoken to the Police to contact us on 101.”
Calls to a national domestic abuse helpline have doubled during lockdown, with experts saying restrictions on movement have created opportunities for perpetrators to exert greater control.
Womenâs Aid says thereâs been an influx of inquiries to Scotland’s Domestic Abuse and Forced Marriage helpline during the pandemic; a third of those specifically mention the impact that coronavirus is having on their lives.
Melanie Wood, from Moray Womenâs Aid, said: âWe have had calls from women hanging out (the) washing, having to make a discreet call to us, women calling from their garage.Â
âSome men have been saying âI will do the shopping, you and the kids need to stay safe, I will take the bank cardâ, then the card does not get given back.â
âPeople havenât been able to get out to see friends or family or speak to people who might say: âThatâs not right, you need to do somethingâ.
Jean experienced domestic abuse for more than twenty years. She says living under the control of her husband affected every aspect of her life.
âI had to report what I was doing, what I was spending, where I was going, everything.
Police Scotland says officers are always on hand to help, and are urging anyone affected to contact them, wherever they may live.
Detective Superintendent Debbie Forrester, who is the lead for Domestic Abuse for Police Scotland, said: âIf you feel afraid or you are at risk of abuse or you know someone who is, Covid is not an obstacle, please come forward and we will respond appropriately.â
SSP Group says sales have been almost entirely wiped out as firm struggles with reduction in passenger travel.
Up to 5000 jobs are under threat at Upper Crust and Caffe Ritazza owner SSP amid a shake-up following plunging passengers numbers at railway stations and airports due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The group warned it expects to open only around a fifth of its sites in the UK by the autumn as travel is set to remain at very low levels amid the Covid-19 crisis.
It has launched a consultation on a restructure to âsimplify and reshapeâ the business in the face of the pandemic, which it said could lead to more than half of its 9,000-strong peak season workforce being axed.
Chief executive Simon Smith said: âIn the UK the pace of the recovery continues to be slow.
âIn response to this, we are now taking further action to protect the business and create the right base from which to rebuild our operations.
âThese are extremely difficult decisions, and our main priority will be to conduct the process carefully and fairly.â
SSP has around 570 sites across 130 airport and railway stations in the UK and Ireland, but also has operations in 35 countries worldwide.
It runs travel sites for chains such as Burger King, M&S Simply Food and Starbucks, while it also has its own brands including Millieâs and Upper Crust.
The firm has so far not launched any âmaterialâ restructuring in its other global operations, as it believes there will be a faster bounce back outside the UK.
SSP has seen sales almost entirely wiped out in April and May, down around 95% and, despite a slight recovery in June, revenues were still around 90% lower last month.
It recently warned over operating losses of up to Â£250m for the second half of its financial year.
The firm said despite some tentative signs of a recovery in the travel sector, rail passenger numbers still remain around 85% lower than a year earlier and the air sector has stayed largely closed until recently.
It believes that short-haul air travel may see a limited pick-up in July thanks to so-called air bridges between countries over the summer holiday season, but it does not expect a meaningful pick-up in airport and train passenger numbers.
Mr Smith said: âThe objective of the action that we are proposing today is to ensure that we manage through this pandemic, rebuild our business as demand recovers and, in time, deliver long term sustainable growth for the benefit of all our stakeholders.â
He added the group will keep open the possibility of opening more sites if it sees sales improve over the summer.
Thousands of crew members and airport support teams returning to work as carrier ramps up flight schedule.
Ryanair flights from Scotland to Europe begin today as it returns to a more regular schedule with 40% of its usual capacity for the peak summer month.
Thousands of Ryanair crew members and airport support teams are returning to work following a three-and-a-half-month shutdown caused by the coronavirus pandemic. Ryanair says it will operate more than 1,000 daily flights across 200 European airports, restoring almost 90% of its pre-Covid-19 route network, albeit with lower frequencies and lower fares.New health measures are in place for passengers including mandatory face coverings, fewer checked bags, cashless inflight services and improved hygiene procedures.
Ryanair Groupâs CEO Michael OâLeary said: “We expect in July to carry more than 4.5 million customers, many of them families taking well earned Mediterranean holidays after the severe challenges of the Covid-19 lockdown, homeschooling, etc.“These 1,000 daily flights mark an important turning point for Ryanair and for the tourism industry of Europe, which supports so many jobs and small businesses.”Mr O’Leary also said Ryanair welcomed this weekâs decision by the UK Government to replace “its failed ‘form filling’ quarantine with air bridges to most of Europe”. In a bid to boost passenger numbers, Ryanair is releasing 500,000 seats on sale from â¬19.99 one-way for travel in late August and September.
Spain – Alicante and MalagaBelgium – Brussels Ireland – Dublin Poland – Krakow, Warsaw and Wroclaw
Austria – ViennaBelgium – BrusselsBulgaria – SofiaCzech Republic – PragueDenmark – Billund and CopenhagenEstonia – TallinnFrance – Beziers, Bordeaux, Carcassonne, Marseilles, Nantes, ToulouseGermany – Berlin, Dusseldorf, Hamburg, Karlsruhe and MemmingenGreece – CorfuHungary – BudapestIreland – DublinItaly – Bari, Bologna, Brindisi, Cagliari, Catania, Milan, Naples, Palermo, Pisa, Rome and VeniceLatvia – RigaLithuania – KaunasLuxembourg – LuxembourgMalta – MaltaNetherlands – EindhovenPoland – Bydgoszcz, Gdansk, Katowice, Krakow, Poznan, Warsaw, Modlin and WroclawPortugal – Faro, Lisbon and PortoRomania – BucharestSlovakia – BratislavaSpain – Alicante, Barcelon, Fuerteventura, Gran Canaria, Ibiza, Lanzarote, Malaga, Palma de Mallorca, Santander, Seville, Tenerife and SouthValenciaSweden – Gothenburg and Stockholm
The workers have been isolated and are undergoing further tests in line with NHS Scotland guidance.
Group captain Chris Layden: “As station commander Iâve been briefed that there have been two suspected cases of COVID-19 among the Volker Fitzpatrick workforce who are delivering the essential runway works here at RAF Lossiemouth.
“They were displaying no symptoms but were identified through testing which Volker Fitzpatrick has been voluntarily conducting with the consent of their workforce.
Statement from @StnCdrLossie reference two suspected cases of COVID-19 among contractors working at RAF Lossiemouth ð pic.twitter.com/5bbMQJJ4FR
“RAF Lossiemouth is continuing to deliver its vital work in the interests of national security, but we are stringently observing the necessary protocols, to protect both the military community and our wider Moray family.
Moray MSP Richard Lochhead said he had discussed the situation with the director of public health for NHS Grampian.
He said: “I understand why this news is causing some anxiety locally. Above all, we need transparency and a precautionary approach from the MoD (Ministry of Defence) and contractors who must now reach out to the community.“The MoD and the main contractors working at RAF Lossiemouth have been warned repeatedly by community representatives about the risk of bringing Covid into the community.Mr Lochhead welcomed steps taken so far to reduce the risk of coronavirus infection but said there was a view that more needs to be done.
He said: “The fact that workers travelling to Moray may have had Covid is a wake-up call for the MoD. “The MoD chose to introduce more risk to Moray by not taking on board the concerns of the community so it is also duty-bound to increase protection for the local community, service families and contractor employees. “Until we have a vaccine, the MoD should review and oversee the situation.”
A six-strong crew sped to a harbour in Cove, Aberdeen, following a call around 8.20pm on Tuesday.
With help from HM Coastguard, they pulled the fridge-freezers out the water and took them back to Aberdeen.
The Aberdeen Lifeboat crew said they had to breach social-distancing rules to attend the call, with coxswain Davie Orr critical of the risks posed by their find.
He said: âWhoever dumped these fridges showed a casual disregard for the environment, sea safety and also caused a significant waste of search and rescue funds and resources.
âFridges float, and can drift a long way. These two items could easily have holed a small vessel and caused a real emergency at sea.
âOur crew also had to break from social-distancing rules to attend the call, with the associated risks.
âThe fridges were bulky and awkward to bring on deck but needed to be recovered to avoid another incident.
âWe will always be ready to respond to any report of concern for safety at sea, but we hope the lesson of tonightâs false alarm will strike home.â
The 16-year-old got into difficulty in the water at Pollok Country Park at around 5pm on Tuesday.
Police have now confirmed that his body was recovered from the water a short time later.
A spokeswoman for the force said: “At around 5.10pm on Tuesday, police responded to a report of a concern for a person in the water at Pollok Country Park, Glasgow.
âThere are no apparent suspicious circumstances and a report will be submitted to the Procurator Fiscal.”
Another three people have died with coronavirus in Scotland, the first deaths recorded for five days.
It takes the death toll among confirmed Covid-19 cases to 2485, but this rises to 4132 when presumed coronavirus deaths are included.
The country had gone four days in a row with no reported deaths of patients with the virus.
There have also been ten more cases of the virus confirmed in the past 24 hours.
Speaking at the Scottish Government’s Tuesday briefing, the First Minister said there had been a rise in the number of patients suspected to have the virus in hospitals.
A total of 885 people are being treated for Covid or Covid symptoms, a rise of 145 on the day before.
But Nicola Sturgeon stressed all of that rise relates to suspected cases, with the number of confirmed coronavirus cases in hospitals actually dropping by three.
Similar, patients in intensive care rose by nine to stand at a total of 19, but all are suspected cases.
Since the pandemic began, a total of 4061 people previously hospitalised with Covid-19 have been able to go home.
The First Minister said despite the new deaths, weekly figures show a âsustained and significant ongoing reductionâ in fatalities.
Nicola Sturgeon said in the previous seven days there had been a total of nine Covid deaths in Scotland, compared to 23 in the week prior to that.
Speaking 100 days after lockdown was imposed, the First Minister highlighted the progress that had been made.
When restrictions were first imposed on March 23, she said: âCovid was starting to run out of control in Scotland.
âBecause of that two weeks after the start of lockdown in early April hospital admissions for the virus averaged over 200 every single day.
âTwo weeks after that Covid deaths in Scotland, going by the wider National Records of Scotland data, were on average more than 90 every single day.
âTo be in our current position with hospital admissions averaging just four a day, with consistently low numbers of new Covid cases, and with such a sharp reduction in death rates, all of that is massive and it is very welcome progress.â
Sturgeon added: âI believe we now have a genuine chance to come as close as it is possible to get to eliminating this virus in Scotland.â
That would help with measures to reopen the economy, and opening schools again in August â but the FM insisted it remains a “time of very real dangerâ.
She stressed the need to âwork very hardâ to ensure the progress made in recent weeks is not lost âor even worse, reversedâ.
With lockdown restrictions being reimposed in Leicester, and the World Health Organisation warning the pandemic is âspeeding upâ, the First Minister said these should act as a âvery loud reminder the virus hasnât gone awayâ.
The First Minister warned Covid-19 is âjust as infectious and just as dangerous as it ever wasâ, adding: “It will come back hard if we let it.”
âWe are reopening more public services and more businesses, we will soon start travelling a bit more and we will also start seeing more of our family and friends, including in outdoor pubs and restaurants.
âThat is absolutely right, it is justified by the progress we have made and it is important to get our economy going again.
âBut by opening up a bit more at a time when the daily statistics are looking so positive there is a real risk that people will let down their guard – it is a human reaction that all of us may be susceptible to.”
Sturgeon said the reduction in both cases and deaths from coronavirus were the result of â100 days of hard sacrificeâ over lockdown.
Scotland’s International Development Alliance has called on the new Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office to make four commitments to help the poorest people in the world.
Plans were announced earlier this month to abolish the Department for International Development (DfID) as part of a merger with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO).
Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab on Tuesday said the UK Government was “still absolutely committed and we intend to deliver on the merger by September” in what First Minister Nicola Sturgeon has previously described as a “regrettable move”.
The alliance, with a membership of groups and individuals from more than 200 non-governmental organisations (NGOs), has now put forward four commitments it says are needed for the new department to have effective progress.
They are commitments to poverty eradication and aid effectiveness; to accountability, transparency and scrutiny; to the UN Sustainable Development Goals and the Paris Agreement on Climate Change; and to safeguarding DfiD’s expertise.
It is backed by a wide range of Scottish-based NGOs including the Halo Trust, IDEAS, IIED, Oxfam Scotland, Sciaf, Tearfund Scotland, Carey Tourism, The Scotland Malawi Partnership, WaterAid, Water Witness International and Thrive.
Jane Salmonson, chief executive of the alliance, said: “The merging of DFiD and the FCO has caused many to raise concerns that the UK’s national interest could skew the development policy agenda.
“The alliance and many of its members have worked closely with the hugely experienced and talented team of specialists at DFiD.
“We are hopeful that working with the specialists and diplomats at the FCO will add to the skills and qualities needed to resource the UK’s renewed commitment to the world’s most vulnerable.
A UK Government spokeswoman said: “We welcome the contribution from the alliance. As the PM (Boris Johnson) said, the ambition, vision and expertise of DfID staff and the work of UK aid to reduce poverty globally will be at the heart of the new department.
“Merging the departments will also allow us to make the most of the opportunities ahead around tackling climate change as we prepare to host COP26 next year.”
“We remain committed to full transparency in our aid spending and there will continue to be parliamentary and independent scrutiny of the aid budget.”
Almost half of youngsters aged 12-24 surveyed said they felt there had been increase in online bullying and prejudice.
Young people across Scotland are reporting an increase in online bullying since lockdown began, according to an education charity.
Time for Inclusive Education (TIE) surveyed 1,015 youngsters aged 12 to 24 and found they had seen or experienced an increase in online bullying and prejudice during the lockdown.
The charity found that 47% of those asked had felt there was an increase, with over half reporting that this had been happening more than usual.
Meanwhile, 59% of young people had witnessed an increase in online prejudice and trolling, with racism, homophobia, and hurtful posts related to body image and physical appearance the most commonly reported.
Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) young people were also found to have faced higher levels of online bullying, with over half witnessing more homophobia on social media platforms – and 60% of LGBT youth seeing or experiencing online bullying.
The charity is now calling on social media companies to take more responsibility for the content being posted on their sites.
TIE co-founder Liam Stevenson said: “These findings should serve as a stark reminder that social media companies have an ethical responsibility to step up their actions when it comes to protecting young people from the bullying, trolling and hateful content that they are clearly being exposed to while accessing their platforms.
“As the parent of a primary school pupil myself, I recognise that my daughter is not immune from witnessing online prejudice, and being made to feel upset by others on online platforms.
“We hope that the Scottish Government and Local Authorities will take account of these findings when planning the recovery from this pandemic, and consider how to best support learners who may have witnessed or experienced online bullying and prejudice when they return to their schools, colleges and universities.”
Girls and young women were 13% more likely than their male counterparts to experience harmful comments relating to their body image and physical appearance.
Erin Mwembo, an 18-year-old from East Lothian, said that her own mental health had suffered as a result of social media abuse, and urged tech companies to “take greater accountability” for the behaviour.
She said: “Over the lockdown period, my mental health has suffered as a consequence of social media.
“It comes as no surprise that young people, especially young women, face huge body image pressures from social media.
“Personally, I have found the diet culture and pressure to look ‘perfect’ on social media, especially TikTok, a really toxic mindset. I can see how this influences and negatively impacts how young women see themselves and to the standards they hold themselves to.”
She added that homophobic and transphobic slurs have become normalised online, and little repercussions come from the use of them.
World news – GB – Boy, 3, dies after being hit by car that mounted pavement